SME’s RAPID + TCT Manufacturing Poster Challenge is designed to foster interest and provide the additive manufacturing engineering community with new perspectives and innovative ideas. The poster competition creates a forum for RAPID + TCT attendees to share ideas with peers, gain visibility as a subject-matter expert and establish relationships within the industry.
At the RAPID + TCT Event, posters will be displayed in the exhibits area throughout the show, May 20 – 23, 2019 and will be open to all event attendees. On Tuesday, May 21 from 2- 6 p.m., a special Interactive Poster Session will be held. During this time, poster presenters will be expected to be available at his/her respected posters to present their work to the judges, interact with guests, answer questions and discuss the technology/features of their display.
Deadline: March 4, 2019
Participating students may submit an application for a travel award up to $500 USD to help defray the cost of attending RAPID + TCT. Complete the application here.
The competition is open to registered students in their junior or senior year of their undergraduate program or graduate-level degree engineering programs. Currently enrolled undergraduate and graduate students will need to provide their advisor’s contact information. Abstracts will be accepted from undergraduate and graduate students. Teams can participate.
Poster abstracts should address research, case studies and/or applications in any of the following areas:
- 3D imaging & scanning/CT scanning
- Additive manufacturing applications
- Additive manufacturing design considerations
- Application of AM to the aerospace, automotive, consumer products, medical industry, etc.
- Sustainability of AM
- Applied academic research
- Direct write printed materials and electronics
- Engineering Education, Outreach, and workforce development
- Hybrid systems applications
- Material development and characterization
- New and emerging additive manufacturing processes
- Post processing
- Software modeling/Digital thread
Students must provide a description of the design along with supporting figures and photographs. Poster presentations will be judged on several factors, including:
- Integrity of analysis
- Impact on manufacturing cost, quality or other manufacturing and performance requirements
- Quality of the presentation (timeliness, graphics, clarity, spelling and grammar)
- Poster display — visual representation
- Posters for presentation will be limited to a maximum of eight feet wide by four feet high (8’W x 4’H)
- Posters must be oriented and mounted horizontally
- Poster presenters need to present a five-minute summary of their work to interested attendees and judges
Prizes & Awards
The posters will be judged and there will be first a runner-up, second runner-up and overall winner. Cash prizes and awards, listed below (subject to the quality of the entries), will be presented onstage at RAPID + TCT prior to the keynotes. Two first prize and two second prize winners will be selected from undergraduate and graduate students.
- First Prize – $500; Second Prize – $250 (Awardees must be present at the Awards Ceremony on Thursday to accept the prizes)
- First prize and second prize plaques
- A certificate of achievement
- A complimentary, one-year SME membership
- A recognition letter sent to the winners with a copy sent to the university advisor/educator
- A recognition letter sent to a student newspaper/technical publication designated by the winners