Caterpillar has invested in additive manufacturing in order to meet the demanding challenges of the markets we serve. However, application of additive is not without its challenges, which include cost of an additive part vs. traditional manufacturing as well as validation of a part manufactured in a new method. In this presentation, we will share the next chapter of this journey and look at a few case studies, in both metal and non-metallic, of how we overcome the challenges, and are using additive manufacturing to positively impact our business by supporting product development and support.
- Enabling rapid exploration of new concepts, and design changes without investment in expensive tooling
- Enabling product development teams to get engineering data and customer feedback early in the development cycle in a manner that is cost effective
- Identifying cost effective ways to support our customers and products in the field.
- Identify opportunities where additive manufacturing can be applied to the product development process.
- Identify opportunities where additive manufacturing can be applied to the product support process.
- Understand how to apply additive manufacturing in a manner that is cost effective.