INSTRUCTOR: Scott Young, BasTech, Inc.
This workshop is an introduction into how additive manufacturing (with metals) is revolutionizing injection molding and mold-making industries. Plastic injection molders know the value of optimal cooling and the problems that lack of cooling can cause. We will be exploring ways that AM is giving toolmakers an opportunity to produce quality tooling to aid the injection molder as well as lower cost in the build process. The theology of conformal cooling, design practices and a basic understanding of AM manufacturing will be accompanied with case studies and real life experience to show how this tool can improve molding quality, reduce costs and increase capabilities for both the molder and the mold-maker.
- Discuss the current state of the plastic injection molding industry
- Compare and Contrast manufacturing of plastic injection molds through subtractive and additive technologies
- Educate on additive manufacturing in metals and terminology
- Explore design techniques and software that can help the designer achieve AM success
- Demonstrate the benefits of using additive manufacturing in plastic injection molding and moldmaking